Chicken is a great healthy option as it is low in fat.
To make this slow cooker whole chicken recipe rub your chicken in a mixture of cayenne pepper, thyme, and paprika.
Leave to marinade overnight and then put in the crockpot for 7 – 8 hours on low or 4 – 5 hours on high.
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- 4-5 pound chicken
- 8 ounces potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion peeled and cut into 12 wedges
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Arrange carrots, onion, garlic, rosemary into a 6-quart slow cooker bowl.
- Combine salt, paprika, black pepper, and olive oil in a small bowl to make a seasoning paste.
- Remove the giblets and neck from the chicken. Dry the outside and inside of the chicken with paper towels.
- Spread the seasoning paste evenly over the chicken skin. Place the chicken up on the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on the “High” setting for 4 to 5 hours, or “Low” setting for 6 to 8 hours.
- If you want crispy skin, carefully transfer chicken to a baking tray. Brush the chicken with olive oil and broil 10-inches away from the top of the oven about 5 minutes.
- To serve, add vegetables to a platter and place chicken on top.