Zucchini spaghetti is a great alternative to wheat pasta so why not give it a try. It is so much healthier than normal spaghetti for lots of reasons.
- It is much lower in calories than wheat pasta. 5 cups of zucchini spaghetti have the same number of calories as just 1 cup of wheat pasta. In fact, there are around just 40 calories in 1 cup of zucchini spaghetti.
- Zucchini spaghetti is lower in carbs than wheat pasta. There are only 5 grams of carbohydrates in zucchini noodles. They are lower in natural sugars and starches so are much healthier for you.
- Wheat pasta has little nutritional value, but zucchini noodles are a good source of vitamins A, B6, C and potassium. They have plenty of fiber; in fact, they have 15% of your dietary needs.
- Finally, they only take a few minutes to cook whole wheat pasta takes around 12 minutes.
Recipe for Zucchini Spaghetti
The best way to make zucchini noodles is with a vegetable spiralizer. This is a kitchen tool which turns either vegetables or fruits into strands. If you don’t have a vegetable spiralizer, you can use a vegetable peeler, a knife or a grater.
- Trim off the ends of the zucchini. It’s up to you whether or not you keep the skin on. However, there is a lot of nutrition in the skin so it is a good idea to keep it on.
- Pass the zucchini through the vegetable spiralizer.
- Heat up some oil in a skillet and sauté the zucchini spaghetti for a minute or two so they keep their crunchy texture. If you want to add a little kick, add some minced garlic. Keep tossing the noodles with thongs so they don’t overcook.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
Recipes with Zucchini Spaghetti
Spinach Zucchini Noodles
- 4 zucchini
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups spinach
- ¼ cup parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the zucchini noodles with a vegetable spiralizer.
- Melt the butter and cook the garlic for a couple of minutes.
- Add the zucchini spaghetti and the spinach and cook for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Stir in the parmesan and season to taste.
As can be seen, zucchini noodles are a healthy alternative to wheat pasta and you can still enjoy your favorite sauces with them. We hope that you enjoy our recipes.