Sushi is practically a national pastime in Japan. Delicate fish served in the raw coupled with a slightly sweet vinegared rice. This dish usually makes with white rice, although sometimes have made and served brown rice sushi. Brown rice is whole-grain rice with the inedible outer hull removed. We will tell you how to cook brown rice for sushi or other dishes.
Time needed: 1 hour and 15 minutes.
How to cook brown rice faster: you can wash rice, leave it soaking in the water it will cook in, and then cook it.
- Wash brown rice and soaked at least 30 minutes
For cooking sushi, you need to wash brown rice and soaked at least 30 minutes. Brown rice will not turn the water milky but should be rinsed several times anyway.
- Take for every 2 cups of rice 3 1/2 cups of water
For brown rice, you need for every 2 cups of rice 3 1/2 cups of water. Take less water if using a pressure cooker.
- Cooking rice
After washing and soaking, put a lid on the pot and turn the heat to high. When the water comes to a rolling boil, turn the heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes. Then turn the heat as low as possible, and cook for 15 minutes.
Turn the heat off and allow for 5 minutes before using for sushi
- Utensils for mixing the sushi rice
Use shamoji (a wide, flat wooden spatula for rice) or wooden spoon to stir and fluff the rice. Also use a wooden container with a large, flat bottom called hangiri, also known as handai or oke pan.
Brown Rice Inari Sushi
- 3 cups brown rice
- 4½ cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 12 aburaage (fried tofu pouches) they should be about 2 x 3-inches – if large, cut in half
- 1 cup Kombu Dashi
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- Cook the rice in the water according to the basic instructions.
- Make sushi vinegar with the 1 tablespoon mirin, the sea salt, and vinegar, and adding it to the rice.
- To make the seasoned aburaage (fried tofu pouches) place the age pouches along with the konbu stock, 2 tablespoons mirin, soy sauce, and sweetener in a pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the age pouches have absorbed the flavor.
- Let cool before handling. Remove the age pouches from the remaining liquid.
- Split open into pockets. Fill each pouch with sushi rice.